The skyline of Bourg-en-Bresse is marked by the silhouette of the Monastère Royal de Brou, now the symbol of the Bresse capital. You will at first be drawn in by the beautiful stone filigree on the façade and inside the building, but will undoubtedly leave charmed by the love story at the origin of the monastery’s construction.
Brou, a royal monument at the centre of France and Savoy’s history
Once upon a time there lived a princess who was madly in love with her prince. But when the prince passed away in a hunting accident, the princess became inconsolable. She had a tombstone built in his memory, one that would measure up to the love she held for him, a masterpiece of the art of her time.
This sad tale is the story of Margaret of Austria and Philibert II, Duke of Savoy. The Church and Monastery of Brou bear witness to this period in the history of France – to our great enjoyment.
It has a Flamboyant Gothic style, and visitors are struck by the sheer size of the building and the lighting, but above all the delicately carved lace-like stone and intricate patterns which cover the front of the church, as well as both the rood screen and Margaret and Philibert’s tombstones.
A hub of culture and events
A visit of the Monastère Royal de Brou must of course include the church, but don’t miss the adjoining monastery and its 3 peaceful cloisters which now house a fine art museum. The collection is rich in French, Flemish and Italian paintings from the 15th to the 20th century, sculptures from the 12th to the 17th century and stunning temporary exhibitions.
The Royal Monastery also proposes a wide range of themed tours, workshops for children and concerts in summer, including the festival “A la folie… pas du tout !”. From June to September, lights take over the façade as night falls and a unique show takes place: “The Colours of Love” (Couleurs d’Amour), further accentuating the beauty of the monument and of course its history.
Find out everything you need to know about the show here
- The wearing of the mask remains compulsory in the monument.
- For individuals: Reception now of 60 people every 30 minutes.
- Online purchase and booking of tickets is recommended.
- For groups: Possible reception of groups of 40 people by time slot, guide included. Reservation is compulsory with our reservation department at email@example.com
From 08/06 to 30/09/2020
Opening hours daily between 9 am and 12.30 pm and between 2 pm and 6 pm.
Last admissions 30 minutes before the monument closes.
From 01/10 to 31/12/2020
Opening hours between 9 am and 12 pm and between 2 pm and 5 pm.
Full price: € 9.50
Reduced price: € 7.50
Adult group: € 7.50 (group rate from 20 people).
School group rate: from 30 €
In order to limit waiting at reception and contact between visitors, we have implemented time stamping:
- Entrance limited to 40 people per 30 min.
- Reservation of the visit schedule recommended and purchase of an e-ticket online: speed, simplicity, security.
- Monastery cash desk open but online reservations recommended
- Do you already have your ticket? On our website, you can reserve a timetable by indicating that you already have a ticket. The entrance ticket and reservation will be requested at the entrance.
Tickets also available at Bourg-en-Bresse Destinations - Tourist office
Contact: 04 74 22 49 40.
- Bank/credit card
- Chèques Vacances